Lamb in Rose Scented Almond Sauce
Also know as Pasanda Badam Kari. A rich and creamy dish of Mughal origin. A sprinkling of Rose Water and Saffron make it a dish for special occasions.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Central India
- Large pinch of saffron threads, pounded.
- 2 tablespoon hot milk
- 25g blanched almonds
- 675g boned leg of lamb
- 75ml natural plain yoghurt
- 10ml gram flour (besan)
- 60ml sunflower oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 fresh green chillies finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh grated ginger OR 1 teaspoon ginger puree
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 150ml double cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoon rose water
- Toasted almonds to garnish
- Crumble the saffron into a small bowl. Pour over the hot milk and leave to soak.
- Pu the almonds in a bowl and pour over 150ml boiling water. Leave for 20 minutes. Puree the almonds with their liquid with a blender until smooth.
- Trim any fat from the meat and place on a chopping board and cover with greaseproof paper. Gently bash with a rolling pin until it is about 5mm thick all over. Cut the lamb into thin slices abput 25mm long.
- Stir the yoghurt and gram flour together in a small bowl until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and fry until soft but not brown. Add the green chillies, ginger and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the dry spices and cook while stirring for a further minute.
- Add the meat to the pan and cook. stirring for 1-2 minutes until lightly browned. Stir in the yoghurt mixture and cook while stirring for 3 more minutes until the moisture evaporates and the fat separates from the spice paste.
- Pour in 150ml of hot water and season with salt. Bring to the boil and cover the pan with a lid and reduce to heat to low.
- Cook the curry stirring occasionally for 35 minutes.
- Stir in the almond puree, the saffron with its liquid and the cream.
- Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Stir in the garam masala and rose water.
- Place in a serving dish and scatter the toasted flaked almonds over.
- Serve with rice.
Used in this recipe
[product_tag tags=”fry,garlic,rice” per_page=”8″]