Chicken with Stir-Fried Onions and Shallots – Murgh Do-piaza
Richly spiced and VERY hot. Also known as Murgh Do-piaza. A tasty main course when accompanied by Basmati rice and fresh vegetable dishes.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Northern India
- 675 skinned chicken thigh or breast fillets
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoon sunflower or light olive oil
- 2 medium onions – finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger puree
- 1 tablespoon garlic puree
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 225 gram tin of chopped tomoatoes
- 1 tablespoon ghee OR 1 teaspoon unsalted butter plus 2 teaspoon sunflower oil
- 8–10 whole shallots
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint OR 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 4–5 whole green chillies
- 2 tablespoon fresh chopped coriander leave
- Cut the chicken onto 5cm pieces and place in a mixing bowl. Add lemon juice and salt and mix thoroughly.
- Cover the bowl with cling-film and place in refrigerator for 30 mins.
- Heat the oil in a medium sized non-stick pan. Add the chopped onions, ginger and garlic. Fry for 7-8 minutes until it begins to brown.
- Add the ground coriander, cumin, turmeric and chilli powder to the pan and cook gently for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes. Cook while stirring regularly until the tomatoes reach a paste like consistency and the oil rises to the surface.
- Increase the heat to highand add the chicken. Cook stiring constantly for 4-5 minutes or until the chicken becomes white and opaque.
- Pour 250ml of warm water and bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low. Cover and leave to cook for 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- In a separate pan, heat the ghee over a medium heat. Add the shallots and stir-fry until lightly browned. Add the garam masala.
- Add the shallot mix to the chicken and stir over a medium heat until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the mint coriander and chillies. Stir them in and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with Naan bread Basmati rice and vegetables.
Used in this recipe
[product_tag tags=”fry,balti” per_page=”8″]