Khumb Matar Malai
- 300 gms white baby mushrooms cleaned
- 80 gms cashew nuts (soaked in warm water for 20 minutes)
- 2 tbsp greek yoghurt
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 birds eye green chilli slit lengthwise
- 100 gms white onion roughly chopped
- 1 ” ginger roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- ½ tsp mild chilli powder
- 250 mls whole milk
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt to taste
- 100 gms frozen green peas
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander for garnish
- For the spice powder;
- 4 cloves
- 1 ” cinnamon stick
- 5 green cardamom seeds only
Grind the spice powder ingredients to a fine powder. Put to one side.
- In a blender add the cashew nuts, greek yoghurt and 50mls of the soaking liquid. Blend to a smooth fine paste and set aside. In the same blender add the onion and grind to a fine paste and set side. Followed by the ginger and garlic blended with a splash of water to a paste.
Heat the oil in a heavy bottom non stick sauce-pan ( a Kharai is ideal for this ) over a medium heat and add the green chilli fry for a few seconds and add the onion paste stirring well making sure it does not splutter. Fry the paste for 7-8 minutes making sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan and begins to go light brown.
- Now lower the heat and add the ginger and garlic paste fry for 20 seconds and add the spice powder along with the mild chilli powder. Stir well and add the cashew nut yoghurt paste. Mix everything fry this curry base for 2 minutes
- At this stage add the milk a little at a time and keep stirring until the gravy is smooth and creamy. Add the mushrooms, sugar and season to taste. Simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes with a lid on. Stir half way through cooking making sure it does not stick to the bottom. If the gravy is too thick add a splash of water. Add the green peas and continue to simmer for 3-4 minutes. Turn the heat off and add the coriander leaves. Serve warm with paratha or pulao.
- WhopperIndia Set of 2, Indian Copper Serveware Karahi Vegetable Dinner Bowl with Solid Brass Handle for Indian Food…£20.99
- 23cm to 33cm Aluminium Wok Stir Fry Casserole Deep Fryer Karahi Saucepan Cooking Kitchen King (33cm – 13inch – Capacity…
- Set of 4 Large 18cm Stainless Steel Balti Bowls£19.99
- Cuisinart Spice and Nut Grinder Brushed Steel£47.78